Hi everyone. Last few days I've been rather busy working on Quick Chat. This new version is partial rewrite of previous Quick Chat with focus on security. Also I've added two requested features that deal with chat identity theft prevention. Namely Quick Chat admin options now have "Protect registered users user names from being used by other users" option turned on by default. This means that after user name change Quick Chat will use ajax to fetch information does chosen chat user name belongs to any registered user. If chat user name isn't available, user will have to change his user name to participate in chat. Also I've added "Reserved chat user names list" admin option where site admin can add user names that would be baned from chat. On this list I've placed names "admin" and "moderator" by the default (restriction isn't case sensitive).
Here is the full change log for Quick Chat version 1.80:
- Add "Protect registered users user names from being used by other users" admin option (Admin users are not affected by this restriction)
- Add "Reserved chat user names list (comma separated)" admin option, with "admin" and "moderator" as default reserved names (Admin users are not affected by this restriction)
- Additional steps to protect chat against malicious users
- Ajax logic rewritten to use admin-ajax.php
- Ajax calls secured using WordPress nounces
- When string "unique" is used for chat room name for any sidebar chat widget, this widget shows unique chat on every post/page except on home page where it shows the "default" chat room
- Add PayPal donate button at the end of Quick Chat admin option list
New version should be offered automatically by the WordPress update system. The problems regarding TechyTalk and Quick Chat donation button are hopefully resolved, so I've added it to the end of QC admin options list. This way you can easily contribute to my development efforts (thanks in advance). Hope you find Quick Chat 1.80 useful, wish you all best.